Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Love Macarons!


Macarons are little almond meringues filled with buttercream, jam, or any number of fillings, they were invented hundreds of years ago but fell out of vogue until just recently. These crispy, gooey, creamy, delicious little desserts have become very popular the past few years, and they're known for being extremely difficult to make. Macarons are made from 3 basic ingredients: powdered sugar, egg whites and ground almonds, although the ingredients are quite simple, the methodology isn't for the faint of heart. I'll admit, I've unsuccessfully attempted macarons a few times before, but I'm not blaming myself for my failure, its the dodgy recipes I've been using. At only 80 pages, I heart Macarons is clear, to the point, and almost make macaron-ing a simple task.

The only piece of advice I can give, if at first you don't succeed, try try again. Also, the third time's a charm, at least for me. My last batch of macarons were a little flat and slightly gnarly, but had nice smooth tops and a little food or "pied", soft in the centre and crispy on the outside. Yum!

The book is available at the shop for $17.95, and now that i've had some success, I see lots more macarons the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

page counters