Monday, March 22, 2010

Market Salad

I absolutely love going to the farmer's market - finding the best produce available, coming home and making up new recipes with all of my wonderful finds. Most of the time the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and sometimes you really luck out and score a winner! Last week I picked up some beautiful local spinach, a head of cauliflower and a bunch of baby carrots. I preheated the oven to 450F, drizzled the whole head of cauliflower and cleaned carrots with a healthy glug of olive oil, roasted them until they were golden brown and just starting to crisp around the edges. Let the cauliflower cool slightly before breaking into bite sized florets. I made a very simply vinaigrette with Sparrow Lane Champagne vinegar, a bit of honey, and my best olive oil - Fill a big serving platter with spinach, toss the warm vegetables with the vinaigrette and pour the mixture over the spinach. The spinach wilts ever so slightly and brings the whole dish together. I served the salad alongside lasagna, but I'm sure it would pair with lots of things quite nicely. Of course, you can substitute almost any roast-able vegetable, parsnips, peppers, whatever you like - feel free to make substitutions wherever you see it, it's all about cooking by the seat of your pants.



I used Sparrow Lane Champagne vinegar (available at The Cookbook Co. for $15.95)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

page counters